Banana bread, surely a food of the gods.
This recipe is a miss-mash of several (mostly the marvellous www.abeachcottage.com and www.guardian.com) and always turns out good. Unless you miscalculate the amounts, then it's an "ice cream, cake and raspberries" type of pudding.....
110g salted butter, either melted or very softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of over-ripe, mashed bananas
(1/2 cup of plain chocolate chips or chopped walnuts, if wanted)
2 cups of plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Enough milk to make it gloopy
1) Preheat the oven to 180C, put paper into loaf tin
2) Cream butter and sugar together, either by hand or electric whisk until pale and frothy
3) Add eggs, vanilla extract and bananas and mix together
4) Add chocolate chips or chopped walnuts, if using, and mix in.
6) Sift flour and baking powder into mixture, and stir.
7) Add enough milk to make it gloopy, then transfer into the prepared loaf tin
8) Bake for an hour until a skewer comes out clean. Leave it to rest in the tin for 30 mins before turning out onto a baking rack to cool down